The Task Graveyard

It’s where my ideas go to die.  But like the mighty phoenix, I have one idea for a task that keeps rising from the ashes. It just won’t die.

If Bruce Willis was a math task, I’ve seen his face.

I can’t help it. I’m fascinated by them. The containers below have sat on my desk for almost a year and everyday they taunt me.  Like a banshee in the night, they scream to be played with and I couldn’t take it anymore.  So yesterday… WE DANCED!

Now I’m clueless. Where do I go from here?

Before I rebury this guy in the file “Never to be Found Again,” I would love for you to play #WCYDWT with me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas, where you think it fits (grade level), or whatever else you could do with it.

For what it’s worth…here’s what I know and where I’m at so far.

This entry was posted in Against the Norm, Intellectual Need, Making Math Accessible, Modeling, Planning, SMPs, Teacher Content, Teaching in a Context. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Task Graveyard

1. howardat58 says:

The pyramid is faked, the water droplets are reversed at the bottom.

2. Robyn Ovrick says:

Took the time to look at it. Even tried to do some “calculations”. Can’t help you with this one. But the visual effect is awesome and I can see why you hesitate to bury it!

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Questioning My Metacognition wrote:

> gfletchy posted: “It’s where my ideas go to die. But like the mighty > phoenix, I have one idea for a task that keeps rising from the ashes. It > just won’t die. If Bruce Willis was a math task, I’ve seen his face. I > can’t help it. I’m fascinated by them. The containers bel” >

3. Melynee says:

Could you do something along the lines of estimation 180 where pieces are introduced one at a time? I want to be able to explore the relationship of the containers when they are empty. I want to compare smaller volumes from each container using another container and what those volumes look like in each container. Then I could engage in: Knowing this…… I think this because….. this would mean this at this point……

Does that make sense?

• gfletchy says:

It does make sense and that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’m wondering if I could eliminate some things to generate a main question that’s more concise. There’s so much happening here and you’ve confirmed that. Thanks Melynee for chiming in her.

4. Amanda Boatwright says:

I say Flash fractions? 3rd grade..estimate when it gets to 1/4, 1/2 1/3 etc.

5. Simon Gregg says:

I agree with you, Graham – there’s definitely something here!
    But, like you, I’m not sure exactly how this could go…
    You could try running it with a class and see what they notice and ask.
    You could also maybe try a simpler version, like https://youtu.be/OUDjY6vJ8pw stopping at 0:30 to get students to ask the questions, and estimate.
    But how to introduce a calculation stage…?
    Maybe have a collection of these to play with, and water?
    Not sure…

6. Jon Orr says:

My immediate thought was for students to determine how much faster the prism filled compared to the pyramid. Since 3 pyramids is the prism water should be flowing 3 times as fast for them to fill at the same time. Hmmm. That’s all I got for now. I’ll think on this.