Session Description: As more teachers look to add high-yield tasks to their repertoire, the struggle to make it all work becomes real. Let’s examine how problem-based lessons can be used throughout the scope of a unit and how we can harness their power to move student thinking forward. We’ll identify strategies and explore some tasks that help us find a healthy balance between application, conceptual understanding, and procedural fluency.
6-Week Online Workshops:
Building Fact Fluency Toolkits (Add/Sub OR Mult/Div) by Graham Fletcher & Tracy Zager
- Download a sample Lesson String and take it for a test drive. (Includes 30 Lesson Strings)
- A Lesson String Contains the following tasks, activities, and routines around a singular context.
- Image Talk, Contextualized Practice Problem, Tool Talk, Strategy-Based Game, Number Talk, Same/Different, True/False, Card Talk, and an Open Middle Problem
Handouts & Resources:
- Slide deck (Uploaded October 23, 2023)
- 3-Act Tasks & additional recording sheets
- Progression Videos
- Number Sense Routines & Websites
- 3-Act & 5 Practices Recording Sheet
- Number Sense Trajectory
- Open Middle Cards
- Strategy-based Games