Behind the Scenes: The Creation of a Progression Video

In recent months, I’ve received a lot of questions asking how I create the progression videos. Here’s how it all goes down.

Step 1: Research

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 6.06.33 AM.png

There are so many great resources available for early number concepts but I continually found myself coming back to Clements and Sarama for this progression. Their research is highlighted throughout Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics (PreK-2).

I also leaned on the work of Cathy Fosnot and Kathy Richardson.  Every time I revisit their work I’m reminded how much room for growth I have as an educator. They keep me hungry.

Step 2: Sketch a draft progression

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.47.48 AM.png

Step 3: Set the stage

IMG_4916

Lay out the manipulatives in order.

IMG_4918

Adjust the high-tech overhead video capturing hardware system.

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.35.07 AM

Roll out the butcher paper.

Step 4: Go Time

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.37.48 AM

It never turns out right the first time…or the fifth time for that matter. The toughest part is that it all has to be done right in one shot.

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.37.59 AM

I jam out to music while working on the videos.

Progression of Early Number and Counting.jpg

Step 5: Video Editing

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 6.37.21 AM.png

I mute all the sound and speed up the entire video. I’ll slow roll small pieces where I need to verbally flesh out more understanding. The turtle and rabbit show where I played with speed.

I use Apple Motion for most of my video editing but for the progression videos, iMovie does the trick.

Step 6: The voiceover

I’ll highlight one or two things on index cards and let the rest flow. The toughest part is always the first 15 seconds.  That usually gets a full card so I don’t sound like a blundering fool. Although some may say that I still do.

IMG_5617.JPG

Once the notes are scribbled, I open up Quicktime, start a new screen recording, play the video full screen, and do the voiceover.

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.57.01 AM

Step 7: Publish and share

Here’s the published version of the Progression of Early Number and Counting. If you or your students give this a try I’d love to check it out.  If you have any questions just let me know.  All of us are smarter than one of us.

Cheers!

This entry was posted in Against the Norm. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Behind the Scenes: The Creation of a Progression Video

1. Takiwi says:

GRAHAM!!!!!!!!!!!! You are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

2. Deborah Nichols says:

I LOVE these! Not only are they extremely helpful to me as a teacher but I think they would be great to show parents how much is involved in the learning process> Keep ’em coming!

3. Jen Grenier says:

Every time I think you can’t outdo yourself, you go and do it!!!!
    I am giving a STEAM course for local preschools, and this is simply perfect for them to see.
    You are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to do this! I agree, keep them coming!

4. Kyle Pearce says:

Hey Graham,
    So cool how you outlined your process!! Love it. Thanks for the great work you do.

5. Jennifer Gibson says:

You are da bomb! I love sharing your resources with others!

6. Audrey says:

Graham, your progression videos are brilliant! Thanks for sharing all of this about the creation of the videos. Looking forward to the next installment.

7. tjzager says:

I love this behind-the-scenes peek, Fletch. So great. Especially the detail that you’re under a table when you do these. lol.

P.S. Nice books on your desk. 🙂

8. Nicola Herringer says:

Bloody brilliant. I love your work and I too love researching a learning progression in math:)

9. Carrie DeNote says:

Have you considered selling these as posters? I watch the videos with my teachers and then we dig in I’m always trying to find the spot in the video to refer to. I would love a poster size to hang on the wall as a go-to reference.

10. Pingback: Ιδέες, προτάσεις και ιστοσελίδες για τη διδασκαλία των Μαθηματικών | Συνεργασία – Διερεύνηση – Αναστοχασμός