If you liked what you heard and don’t want to miss a new idea, task, or video, then sign up and receive Fletchy’s Newsletter.
3 Act Tasks-Filling the Void of Mathematical Modeling in the Elementary Grades: As elementary educators we’ve misinterpreted the term “model” as simply the use of manipulatives. This is causing our students to miss the mark when it comes to modeling with mathematics. Through the use of 3-Act tasks we will explore what mathematical modeling is, what it looks like, and how we can support this work in our elementary classrooms.
Slides: Presentation Slides
- 3 Act Tasks (At-A-Glance)
- 3-Act Recording Sheet
- 3-Act Recording Sheet (Kindergarten)
- 5 Moves Planning Page
- Open Middle
- Estimation 180 – Andrew Stadel
Teaching 3-Acts and Blog Posts Referenced
- Post: Modeling a 3-act in kindergarten
- Post: Modeling a 3-act in 5th grade
- Sounds of Imaging Numbers
Progression Videos: https://gfletchy.com/progression-videos/