Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve released a series of fraction videos in collaboration with my good friend Christina Tondevold (@BuildMathMinds). Each video addresses some of the ways I tackle fractions in an elementary classroom.
In the series, I shared some fraction subitizing cards, a couple new 3-act tasks you won’t find on this site, in addition to some student work. The site activity and participation in the comments only emphasize the need for quality fraction resources, as well as our desire to grow and learn together.
Over the past 3 years, a large part of my work has centered around math progressions and the way student thinking grows and develops over time. Building content knowledge is a huge undertaking in our K-5 world and many times, it’s more work to be away from class than it is to be present. It’s for this reason that I’ve created a Foundation of Fractions online course as a follow-up.
The course will be broken down into 6 weeks:
- Week 1: Meaning of a Fraction
- Week 2: Equivalence and Comparison
- Week 3: Addition and Subtraction
- Week 4: Multiplication of Fractions
- Week 5: Fraction Division
- Week 6: Rate
Each week will feature 3 main components:
- Launch the Concept: We’ll work through a 3-act task. We’ll also anticipate and analyze student work samples within the progression of learning. The analysis of student work will set up the learning that’s about to take place.
- Connecting & Extending our Thinking: We’ll engage in meaningful tasks supported by an instructional video that models how I would teach the lesson. Through modeling the task, teachers will understand how to harness these tasks and activities to move students through the progression of learning.
- Building Fluency: Once a conceptual understanding is developed, it’s critical that students build fluency. It’s here where we’ll engage in meaningful practice that builds and supports automaticity.
If you want to know more about the course be sure to check out our registration page. The 6-week course begins October 6th which leaves a small window to register.
Registration closes October 4th and there is an amazing early bird special courtesy of ETA Hand2Mind…6 full sets of unlabeled fractions tiles.
Looking forward to learning and growing alongside you and hope to see you soon.